All mom’s should be treated to a breakfast in bed. There is nothing better than waking up to your kids bringing you a beautiful, personalised breakfast tray on Mother’s Day. Presentation is everything, so I’ve created the perfect, foolproof breakfast tray inspiration for you guys. There is a sweet and savoury option depending on her preference. Which one will she prefer, the fluffiest (healthy) pancakes drizzled in maple syrup or a delicious egg-in-a-hole?
Fluffy Buckwheat Pancakes
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tsp coconut oil, for cooking
- Toppings: Fresh fruit and maple syrup
- Whisk together the egg with almond milk. Add the buckwheat flour and baking powder and whisk until smooth. The batter should be thick but you should still be able to pour it.
- Heat a frying pan on low to medium heat.
- Pour approx. ¼ cup of the pancake batter into the frying pan and cook for 2-3 minutes or until small bubbles appear on top. Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Continue cooking with the rest of the batter. Plate up and serve.
- 2 slices of wholemeal bread
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 eggs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Use a heart-shaped biscuit trimmer and press a hole into each slice of bread
- Heat a skillet over a low-medium heat and melt the butter.
- Place the bread slices in the skillet and crack the eggs into the center of the hole.
- Cook until the egg sets slightly on the underside, roughly 45 seconds.
- Season to taste and after another 45 seconds, flip with a spatula and season on the other side.
- Allow to cook until the yolk feels soft and the bread turns a glorious, golden brown.
The keyword here is personalisation. I love hand-illustrated cards. You can download your very own Mother Hen & Chick card here and customise the design by hand once you’ve printed it off. It’s A5 size so just fold it down the middle. For best results, print on card.