Father’s Day is almost here and it’s a time to celebrate fathers, and parenthood. We take advantage of all that our fathers teach us and all that they do for us, so next weekend we celebrate them. Father’s Day in Europe has been around for centuries and is normally celebrated in March. The Spanish and Portuguese actually brought the tradition into South America and so its normal for people in Latin America to also celebrate in March. However, in the United states they adopted a new date, which is always the third weekend of June.
There are many ways to celebrate your husband or father on this occasion. My husband is a big fan of breakfast and like its tradition for a Mother’s Day breakfast, I have made it tradition for me and my kids to make a Father’s Day breakfast for him. I normally pick between three of his favorite breakfast recipes – Pancakes, Avocado on toast or a simple soft-boiled egg with soldiers. I have added the recipes below in case you wanted to use any!
My Greek yoghurt pancakes.
With only 4 ingredients, these fluffy cakes are so simple and quick to make. The key ingredient of course; original Greek yoghurt.
- 1.5 Cups Fage Greek Yoghurt (Try to use the full fat version)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- In a bowl combine the yogurt with the eggs.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour and baking soda.
- Pour yogurt/egg mixture into the bowl with the flour and baking soda. Stir to combine. The batter will be extremely thick.
- Spoon the batter onto a sprayed griddle or pan heated to medium-high.
- Flip the pancakes when they start to bubble a bit on the surface. Cook until golden brown on both sides and serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt, fresh fruit and maple syrup!
Avocado on Rye
This simple recipe is perfect for any breakfast. It’s easy to make as well as being super healthy! The trick is to make sure you get perfectly ripe avocados!
- 2 avocados
- 1 slice of Rye cut in half
- Sea salt
- ½ Lemon
- Cut the Rye bread in half and toast.
- Meanwhile smash up two avocados
- Squeeze in half a lemon to add flavor
- Mix with a little salt and half a teaspoon of chili flakes (more if you like it hot!)
- Spread evenly onto toast and serve!
Soft Boiled Egg and Soldiers
- 2 eggs
- 3-4 pieces of Rye Bread
- Add 2 eggs to water and simmer for 2-3 minutes (top tip: add eggs just before water boils to avoid cracks)
- Turn off the heat and let stand for another two minutes.
- Toast rye bread until golden
- Spread butter onto the toast and cut into inch wide strips
- Serve with spoon, salt and pepper and any additional spreads